The Millsaps College Art Club is an inclusive extracurricular extension of the Art Department made up of art history and studio art majors, minors, and any other interested students. Last semester, our primary focus was hand-making holiday cards which we sold at Fondren Unwrapped. We donated thirty percent of the proceeds to an anti-sex trafficking NGO, Shared Hope International. This semester, our biggest event will be attending the Mississippi Museum of Art’s Night at the Museum themed gala; we’ll be costumed as paintings from the Mississippi Story portion of the museum’s collection. Between larger functions, we get together to attend Fondren after 5, watch art movies, and chat over coffee. Most members of Art Club are involved in local arts organizations such as Mississippi Museum of Art, the Mississippi Arts Commission, Brown’s Fine Art & Framing, and the Mississippi Department of Archives and History as docents, interns, volunteers, and employees. Art Club members love to support one another, our department, and local arts!
Please reach out if you would like to join us at our next event!
Emily Simmons (President)
Mary Frances Ivey (Vice-President)
Madeleine Calcote (Treasurer)
- Showing of Michael Heizer’s Levitated Mass(documentary about controversial large-scale contemporary sculpture at Los Angeles CountyMuseum of Art)
- Trip to Birmingham Museum of Art to see Small Treasures: Rembrandt, Vermeer, Hals, and Their Contemporaries
- WatchingWoman in Gold (film about restitution of Gustav Klimt masterpiece) in theaters
- Fondren after 5 beginning in March
- Many coffee dates in between!